Read about this fine art photographer whose series of landscapes, Empire Falling, explores rock quarries throughout Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.
Read about this committed planner and activist working to conserve natural resources and enhance quality of life in rural Northeastern California.
Read about the founder of Pyramid Hill Sculpture Park, a 265-acre outdoor museum set among wooded forests and designed gardens.
A landscape architect and filmmaker, Muren focuses on the ecology and poetry of placemaking in the documentary, Dream of The Sea Ranch.
See how two NYC-based landscape architects are teaching people to value and see the city's design legacy through a forthcoming publication.
I am a lifelong resident of Southern Pines, North Carolina, a resort town best known for world class golf courses and beautiful horse country.
An original component of the L’Enfant Plan for the Federal City of Washington, which applied a Baroque system of radiating, mostly diagonal, avenues with a superimposed grid of orthogonal streets. Divided into four quadrants, emanating from the centrally located U.S. Capitol, the intersection of the diagonal and orthogonal streets creates a network of geometrically- and irregularly-shaped public spaces known as “reservations.” Reservation No. 153, Logan Circle, is a 1.8-acre park formed by the intersections of Rhode Island and Vermont Avenues and 13th and P Streets, NW.
Established in 1807 by the vestry of Christ Church and officially named the Washington Parish Burial Ground, the cemetery served as the favored burial site for U.S. public servants until the establishment of the National Cemetery System following the Civil War. The irregular 30-acre site occupies about nine blocks of L’Enfant’s original street grid on the west bank of the Anacostia River overlooking southeastern Washington. Linear rows of monuments and straight walking paths continue the city’s geometry within the cemetery gates, and a chapel, added in 1903, occupies the axial center.
In 1898, the first bishop of Washington, Henry Yates Satterlee, chose a site overlooking the Federal City for the Washington National Cathedral. Landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr. developed a master plan for the 59-acre site and was involved in its execution from 1907-1928. His plan included internal roadways, locations for institutional buildings, a series of open spaces and gardens, and a Pilgrim’s Path through the existing five-acre woodland.
An important example of the work of landscape architect Marjorie Sewell Cautley, the park was a gift of local residents Malcolm Sutherland Mackay, his wife Helen Raynor Mackay, and his sister, Jennie L. Mackay to the Tenafly Board of Education in 1924.The Common’s original 30 acres included an athletic field, a baseball diamond, an outdoor theatre, game grounds, school gardens, a picnic grove, and a woodlot for the Boy Scouts and demonstration center for the Girl Scouts.