Baldwin Hills Village, now known as Village Green, is a 68-acre residential development that was built during 1941-42.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2001, with a period of significance of 1935 to 1942. The landscape planning and layout is a major element in the design. Living units all open out onto landscaped common areas – the landscaping serves as the organizing element and the buildings are a background element. Parking and roadways are at the perimeter. The Village Green Owners Association has supported developing a Cultural Landscape Report (CLR) that will be the foundation for understanding–and developing management strategies for sustaining–this great modern American designed landscape. Public recognition would further validate this effort.