Hare & Hare was founded in 1910 by the father-and-son team of Sidney J. Hare and S. Herbert Hare, in Kansas City, Missouri. Sidney Hare was a self-taught landscape designer who acquired his skills and knowledge while working for the Kansas City engineer’s office and as a cemetery superintendent. S. Herbert studied landscape planning at Harvard University before returning to Kansas City to join his father’s practice. Hare & Hare completed a number of significant public and private projects in the Kansas City area and throughout the United States. In the early years of the landscape architecture and planning disciplines, the firm was one of several pioneering firms who helped establish the profession of landscape architecture in the United States. The work of the firm ranged from cemeteries and parks (Sidney’s specialty) to large-scale planning projects, a specilaty of the younger Hare. Notable projects include the Park and Boulevard system and the master plan for the Country Club District in Kansas City, the pre-planned city of Longview, Washington, and the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City. In 1979, Hare & Hare merged with Ochsner & Associates. The firm is known today as Ochsner Hare & Hare, LLC.