The Cultural Landscape Foundation (TCLF) connects people to places. TCLF educates and engages the public to make our shared landscape heritage more visible, identify its value, and empower its stewards.
Serving as an outdoor community space since 1882, the one-acre site first hosted the Free School Society’s Public-School No.5, which provided free night classes for people of color in addition to regular schooling.
First conceived in 1868 as a pastoral addition to Allegheny Commons, this body of water was converted into a recreational lake in the early twentieth century.
PLACES: What's Out There
This searchable database raises public awareness of the rich diversity and interconnectedness of our shared landscape heritage. Spanning more than two centuries of American landscapes, the database is searchable by landscape name, locale, designer, type, and style.
In 1839, David Barrow purchased the 250-acre Home Place estate from his father Bartholomew. The Barrow’s landscape includes a half-mile long curving drive lined with live oaks that marks the entry to the estate.
Thanks to the generous and continuing support of our valued public and private donors we can develop and grow our outreach initiatives.
Pioneers of American Landscape Design® chronicles the lives and careers of those who have designed our gardens, parks, streets, campuses, cemeteries, suburbs, and the innumerable other environments in which we live.