This architectural firm was established by partners Frank Day and Charles Klauder. Day had worked in the firms of Addison Hutton and George Pearson before opening an independent architectural practice in Philadelphia in 1887. He was joined by his brother Henry Day in 1893, and the firm’s name was changed to Frank Miles Day and Brother. Klauder began his career at age fifteen, working for the architectural firm T.P. Chandler in Philadelphia. He joined Frank Miles Day and Brother as a chief draftsman in 1900 and was made a partner in 1911. The practice’s name was changed to Day & Klauder, Architects after Henry Day’s retirement in 1912.
In addition to many private commissions, the firm built a reputation for work on college campuses across the nation. Such projects included dormitory plans for Princeton University and Cornell University, as well as master plans for the University of Colorado, Boulder, the University of Delaware, Pennsylvania State University, and Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee. The firm also collaborated with Olmsted Brothers on plans for the University Heights Campus of New York University (now Bronx Community College). Day & Klauder continued to operate under the banner of its eponymous founders for several years after Day’s death in 1918. But in 1927 Klauder established an independent practice in his own name, and the firm was dissolved.