Landscape Architect John J. Watson

Research Queries

Landscape Architect John J. Watson

Landscape Architect John J. Watson

In 1924, Ohio landscape architect John J. Watson (1876-1950) was hired by circus tycoon John Ringling (1866-1936) to design "Ringling Isles" on four western Florida keys: St. Armand's, Coon, Lido, and Otter. Harding Circle, at the center of St. Armand's Key, was to be the jewel in the crown of this enormous venture consisting of resorts, a casino, and a subdivision of fine residences. Watson's plan bifurcated the oval-shaped key with two main arteries, Boulevard of the Presidents and Ringling Boulevard, converging on a circular park called Harding Place. On January 16, 2001, Harding Circle (now called St. Armand's Circle) was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

(information courtesy of the Southeastern Architecture Archive, Tulane University)

If anyone knows of additional projects by John J. Watson,
please contact:


Lake Douglas, PhD, ASLA
tel 225.578.9222
wdougl1@lsu.edu