Located within the Cannes Mandelieu neighborhood between the Bay of Cannes and the La Siagne River, this 177-acre golf course was first underwritten by the exiled Grand Duke Michael of Russia in 1891. Famed British golf course architect Henry “Harry” Colt designed the first nine-hole course, known today as the “Grand Duke.” In the late twentieth century, a second eighteen-hole course, named the “Old Course” was extended north across the La Siagne by architects Lucien Barrière and Sire Marino Vagliano. Following these improvements, the ownership of the course was transferred to the Camerini family in 1997.
Formed on a gentle incline along the Bay of Cannes, the property meanders north to south across the La Siagne and Argentière Rivers. Placed opposite San Payre Park, the historic ‘Grand Duke’ course is representative of Colt’s design philosophy, which prioritized challenging but aesthetically naturalistic links. The wide fairways, sculpted in response to the site’s undulating terrain, contain groves of umbrella and parasol pine trees that correspond to those in the neighboring park. Winding back and forth across the Argentière River, the links feature typical Colt design elements, including the introduction of a dogleg within the ninth hole fairway and the placement of small bunkers along the fourth hole. Commencing within the Grand Duke links, the Old Course extends across the northern banks of the La Siagne River, reached only by ferry. Further divided east to west by a double rail line, the newer links continues Colt’s original design, its wide fairways dotted with circular sand pits set among some 4,000 pine trees.