Edward Daugherty was born in 1926 in Summerville, South Carolina, and was raised in Atlanta, Georgia.
At the age of 16, he began studying architecture at the Georgia Institute of Technology. He served in the Army in World War II and, after the war, enrolled at the University of Georgia in 1947 to study landscape architecture. He earned his Bachelor of Landscape Architecture and Master of Landscape Architecture degrees at the Graduate School of Design at Harvard University in 1951. Daugherty was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship in 1951 to study town planning in England. Upon completion of the scholarship he returned to Atlanta to begin professional practice. He was the first and most important of a new generation of practitioners in Atlanta and the southeast, bringing ideas of Modernism to a region more traditionally inclined. His career, extending continuously over more than 50 years, includes a broad spectrum of design projects, from small gardens and estates to schools, colleges, cultural institutions, religious properties and environmentally sensitive large developments.
Daugherty and his wife Martha have four children. He has been active in civic affairs throughout his career, including Trees Atlanta and as a parishioner at All Saints Episcopal Church. Daugherty has been a member of the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) since 1954 and was made a Fellow in 1971. He received an Honor Award in Landscape Architecture for the Historic Walk section of Marietta, Georgia, in 1972. In 1987, Daugherty received an Award of Excellence for Lifelong Contributions to Landscape Architecture in Atlanta from the Atlanta Urban Design Commission.
The most notable achievements of Daugherty’s career are the grounds of Georgia’s Governor’s Mansion (1966), the Atlanta Botanical Garden (1981-1995), and Georgia Institute of Technology (1955-1975). Among the projects that hold a special attachment for Daugherty are the Garden at Egleston Hospital at Emory University (now Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta), Canterbury Court, All Saints Episcopal Church, and the Atlanta Historical Society.