This two-acre estate on the near northside of Indianapolis dates back to 1922, when surgeon, balloonist, and astronomer Dr. Goethe Link commissioned local architect Frederick Wallick to design the 13,000-square-foot Tudor Revival-style residence, and prominent Chicago landscape architect Jens Jensen to design the grounds. Jensen’s design featured many of his signature naturalistic elements including extensive native plantings, a limestone water feature, groomed lawn for performances, paths and an orchard. A wide variety of trees and shrubs were planted, including crabapples, ninebark, sumac, hawthorns, dogwoods, roses, red buds, high-bush cranberries and native plums.
In 2008, local physicians Robert and Jennifer Sloan began an effort to restore the estate following its abandonment for more than 25 years; the grounds were overgrown and few original landscape features had survived. Utilizing Jensen’s original plans, Jensen biographer Robert Grese assisted in the identification of remnant historic features. Excavations revealed a below-ground pump room, which held the mechanisms that controlled water flow to the limestone-lined ponds. Local horticulturalist Trenda Trusty led efforts to remove more than 70 large trees from the property to reinstate sunlight to the understory, making way for the return of more than 1,500 Jensen-era trees including dogwoods, redbud sumac and high-bush cranberries. Paths, ponds and fountains were also reconstructed. The residence and grounds were included in the National Register of Historic Places in 1986 as part of the North Meridian Street Historic District, and the site received the Indiana Landmarks Angie’s List Old House Rehab Award in 2011.