Founded in 1998, The Cultural Landscape Foundation (TCLF) connects people to places. TCLF educates and engages the public to make our shared landscape heritage more visible, identify its value, and empower its stewards.
TCLF's staff of six full-time and two part-time employees operates from a beautiful office in the heart of Washington, D.C.’s Dupont Circle neighborhood. If you want immersion in issues, thrive when given a diverse set of tasks, and have a strong interest in landscape history, design, preservation, and advocacy, please get in touch!
The following employment opportunity is open at this time:
Position: Full-time Junior-Level Research and Writing Associate
The successful candidate will participate in TCLF's various programs, including What's Out There®, Landslide®, and Pioneers of American Landscape Design®. Specific tasks include writing and editing texts, research, photography and photo editing, website content management, basic graphic design, and event planning. Excellent writing skills, attention to detail, and a strong interest in all aspects of the history, theory, and practice of landscape architecture is essential.
- Writing and editing descriptive, historical, and biographical texts and essays;
- Research, with the ability to understand complex issues and generate original, thoughtful content that broadens the public’s understanding of and appreciation for landscape architecture and its practitioners;
- Maintaining and managing website content; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong writing and verbal skills.
- The ability to cull information from a variety of texts and sources.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite—Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Basic skills in posting to social media and managing website content (specifics would be taught on the job).
- Basic project-coordination skills.
- Basic problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of the vocabulary and history of landscape architecture is fundamental to the position.
- An educational background in landscape architecture, historic preservation, architectural history, or American studies is preferred. Other relevant degrees or experience will be considered.
- Proficiency with Photoshop and InDesign is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is negotiable and based upon experience. TCLF offers an attractive benefits package with health, RX, vision, and dental plans; paid leave and holidays; and a Matching-Simple IRA retirement plan.
A cover letter, resume, and writing sample (e.g., a relatively brief paper or essay about a designed landscape or landscape architect) are required. A Portfolio is not required. Please send application materials as PDF attachments using the subject line “Junior-Level Research and Writing Associate – Your Name”, to email@example.com.
No phone calls, please.
Application deadline: Until filled